See a show and raise a glass!
followed by season announcement reception
Saturday, August 13
5:00 – 6:30pm
Louis Bluver Theater at the Drake
at 302 S. Hicks St. in Philadelphia
Admission is free; registration is requested
DOORS is created and performed by lead creator Sara Outing and co-creators Maisie O’Brien and Minou Pourshariarti
Directed by Brett Ashley Robinson
Performed at the Louis Bluver Theatre at the Drake (302 S. Hicks St., Philadelphia)
Join us for an exciting work-in-progress showing of DOORS, a work of shadow puppetry, followed by a reception and announcement of A Play, a Pie, and a Pint’s 10th anniversary season!
DOORS is a work of shadow puppetry and music that takes audiences on the walking journey of a central character. DOORS is an allegory about exhaustion and resilience, set among echoes and blueprints of the structures that keep Black Americans from being free. Tracking the journey of an ever-morphing central figure, DOORS leaps across time and place to examine four centuries of displacement and survivorhood, finding cues for rest, modes of resistance, and a vision for the future.
DOORS has been supported by the prestigious Jim Henson Foundation and received a workshop at New York City’s HERE Arts Center.
This workshop presentation will feature Outing’s original DOORS and two devised shadow puppetry experiments developed with co-creators Maisie O’Brien and Minou Pourshariarti. Seats for the presentation will be general admission. The puppetry pieces will last approximately 45 minutes.
The workshop presentation will be followed by a reception featuring light snacks and drinks to celebrate the announcement of our 10th anniversary season of A Play, a Pie, and a Pint!
- To protect our audiences and artists, proof of vaccination will be required at time of entry, including a booster for anyone who received their second shot before March 2022 – please bring your vaccine card or a clear picture of it and your ID.
- The audience capacity is limited.
- Masks will be required for all patrons in all areas of the building when not actively eating or drinking.
- The Louis Bluver Theatre at the Drake offers an improved HVAC system that well exceeds recommended guidelines in air exchange cycles and filtration.
- We will have a COVID-19 compliance officer on site to ensure we meet the highest standards of safety and cleanliness.
- If you are feeling unwell, or if you have come into close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19, please stay home for your health and that of our audiences and performers.
- As the pandemic continues to evolve, we are closely monitoring all updates, and our policies may evolve accordingly. We will share any updates about policy or procedure here, and will notify attendees via email.
Artistic associate Sara Outing was the designer behind the award-winning play-by-mail A Breath for Us. Audiences have seen her creative, surprising set and props designs for The Complete Works of Jane Austen, Abridged, our Oktoberfest and Valentine’s Day celebrations, The Art of Swimming, and more Tiny Dynamite productions, as well as on stages throughout Philadelphia.
Never Miss a Beat: